Monday 2 May 2011

Windy day on the Crest with some good English company

Arrived at the Crest today to be greeted by winds ranging from 35 mph to 60 mph, Wow it was going to be fun!

Some mates from down south had made the pilgrimage to Wales for the day too and it was fantastic to watch Joel West, Greg Daiken, Jon Sage and John Phillips rip up the epic welsh lift. Rog Brown had also made the trip to the Bwlch for the day from Swansea to play.

I set up the Skorp and wandered towards the cliff edge and the rotor promptly smacked one of the flaps down onto my head and popped a servo out! I had a pretty good giggle at that and went back to the pits to glue the servo back in place.

Next up was my Flying Fish. This slippery little 60inch moulded fiberglass model was loaded up with all it's ballast and ready for some high speed action which it delivered very nicely with huuuuge pumps and loops until I got a little bit too eager on the elevator at the bottom of a pump and asked too much of the wing. The little beasty disintegrated in the air with one half of the wing fluttering its way merrily towards Port Talbot and the fuselage and other half of the wing burying themselves in the side of the cliff. At least she went out in a blaze of glory! I am going to save my pennnies for a D60 as a replacement.

The outstanding plane of the day for me was Greg's Alliaj! That thing is sooooo freaking fast!!!!! It just kept eating up the sky.

Rog took some video today of my Fish and Greg's Alliaj and the clip finishes with his Suraci doing what it does best, inverted flat spins to landing. It landed so far away that we had a search party go and find it.
Here is Rogers clip on Vimeo



The epoxy I used for the wing servo refused to go off in the cool breeze and I didn't get the opportunity to fly the Skorp until right at the end of the day. It was worth the wait though! My hands were shaking after a few minutes as the incredible speed combined with some pretty turbulent air got my adrenaline flowing. Managed to find a Rotor-free area to land after screaming around and got her home in one piece.

While I was waiting for the epoxy to set, John Phillips let me set up his Half Pipe 48 on my transmitter so that I could have a play with it instead of just sitting and watching (thanks John). I had heaps of fun with it and managed to return it to John in one piece too.

I took some video today but the footage is quite poor so I'm not sure if I can use any of it to make a decent clip but I'll see what I can conjure up in the next few days.

Next weekend I am off to Huddersfield for the second round of the BMFA F3F League and will let you know how I go.

Turrah

No comments:

Post a Comment