Sunday 19 April 2015

A bit of Wrecker practice today

Had some free time today so headed to the Bwlch for a bit of fun and F3F practice. I chose to test out my tolerance to the cold and wore shorts, a t-shirt, thongs (flip-flops before you picture me in a g-banger! eeeeeeww!) and a hoodie. I popped a pair of socks in my pocket to wear my trainers just in case I got cold.

It was 3.5 degrees when I got to the Bwlch!! Epic wardrobe fail on my behalf!! Socks and shoes were on from the start!

While I was getting ready for the massive walk from the carpark to the slope (100 metres) Martin Newnham arrived. He had the same idea as me although must have had it earlier as he had a 4hr drive to endure.

As did John Philips who arrived next. Hallowed company indeed!

I was already shivering, I hadn't even got my planes to the slope edge!

Greg Dakin waltzed in at about 11 to maiden his Jedi Space Lift and try to rip the wings off his existing Jedi Space Lift too. I really love watching the ridiculous speeds Greg creates.

Here is a video of one of his early flights.



I really wanted to get my DSL Skorp to fly as well as my F3B version so I spent the morning trying to improve the set up. I got it going a little bit better by shifting the CG forward a bit and was then trying out full ballast. It was better, but still a bit unruly!
I forgot that I had all the ballast in and made my 'empty plane' approach for landing and watched in horror as the brakes did almost nothing, except to remove the possibility of a go-around. She came in a 'bit' hot and dislodged a v-tail half and an aileron hinge.

Skorp F3B was a delight to fly and was fairly shifting too! I was practicing a few different turn styles (reversals [high and low], EM aiming at the turn point and EM bouncing off the centre. It's so hard to stop yourself from pulling too hard.

I had some fun doing some aeros too and managed a rolling circuit at one point, Yay me!

The conditions got a bit more lively in the afternoon, even though the measured wind speed on the edge stayed the same.

Martin had his Freestylers going really well and I managed to get no videos at all. Or photos for that matter.

John had a few different models screaming about the place and I only managed to get a video of him cranking out some turns with his Pike Perfection. It was honking!!




Greg was starting to get the hang of his new Jedi by the end of the day!! Video courtesy of Martin Newnham. hope he doesn't mind me sharing it with you!



I made it to 4pm and was proper chilled so I called it a day (A great day!) and moseyed on home!

I'm hoping Martin took some video of me and my plane. I'd like to see how it compared to the other guys! I thought it was going pretty good!

Here are a couple of pics: Sorry that there isn't much variety! I only took the camera out of its bag once!












No comments:

Post a Comment